Wednesday, July 06, 2011

My Future Is Yours

I have recently been contemplating going back to school. I'm not sure what prompted that feeling. I've been out of school for about 5 years now. And while I was in school, I just bounced around not knowing which direction I wanted to go lol. Recently, I mentioned to Kara that I was interested in dog psychology - yes, there is such a thing. I've always been good with animals of most kinds (especially dogs though), and it sounded ground breaking. Eh, it's not.

I did some research. Apparently, dog psychology is just a glorified dog trainer, like the lady Victoria on the Animal Planet's Its me or the Dog. Unless you are like Victoria, and have your own TV show, or work for royalty, being a dog trainer/psychologist is like working for peanuts. And I do that now, without all the homework. And I also read where it can be emotionally rewarding but there are often times where it is quite the opposite. Some dog trainers have had to make their clients part ways with their dogs, or even encourage them to be put down due to serious behavioral problems. I'm not sure I could do that. I can't even go into an animal shelter. Also, it seems the idea originated in England (suuurpriiisse lol). So that is where most of the programs are. There are also some in California where Ceasar the Dog Whisperer opened a dog psychology center. But other than that, there's not many places to study dog psychology except on your own. Read books and volunteer to train dogs locally. Well, I might actually read some of the books. I can do that. I'd probably learn it quite well.

I knew that dog psychology was likely going to be a long shot. So I went to the U of M's website. Checked out all their bachelor programs they offered strictly online. I say strictly online because I can't afford to quit my job to go to classes.

Tonight during dinner, I told my mom what I had been thinking. She immediately suggested that I go to a technical school like Concorde and get a degree in 8 months! No, Mom. No. She also suggested that I go to nursing school at Baptist or Methodist because they will pay for your education if you sign a contract to work for them. Which sounds okay, but nursing is what she wanted to do. Somehow it's not for me.

But then, guys, she had a good idea. In fact, I liked it quite a bit and got really excited all of a sudden. And this is the idea that I text you about. My mom suggested that the four of us open a coffee shop.
.
.
.
.
Yea, I let that sink for a minute. It sounds like a perfect idea. Yes, it sounds a little crazy and scary to me. But I also think it may something we should seriously consider. A 24 hour, open past midnight coffee shop. Location is the ideal thing I think. And I think the U of M area would be the place to try it - assuming there is real estate. We all have our own specialties and talents to contribute to the shop. It's a risk, a chance, a gamble, lol. But for some reason, right now, I feel like it is an acceptable one. It sounds horrid, and back breaking and pain staking and a long process. But every time I think about doing it, opening my own, OUR own coffee shop, I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment