I think everyone has an escape. Something they do that helps them to relax and get away from the stress of life. I think these things say a lot about a persons character or personality. Well, judging from my own, that is the conclusion that I draw. Myself, personally, I have a few different ways of escaping.
There is football. I have been a Memphis Tigers football season ticket holder for 5 years now, and went to all the games while I attended the U of Memphis. For 4 hours on a Saturday, I get to completely forget that there is a world or problems going on outside the football stadium. The only thing that matters then is the band blowing out my right ear drum, and getting a first down. I know, the Tigers football teams SUCKS. Well, I'm a loyal fan. Either stay on or get off the damned bandwagon. We don't need any fair weather fans lol.
Ironically, Face Book is some what of an escape for me. While the whole point, I think, is to connect people, I feel like spending time on FB is an escape. I can read what other people have to say, and see what kind of crazy shit they post. But that way, I am not dealing with my own life or my own issues. I get to pretend they don't exist and just jump into other people's lives. And boy am I nosy lol. Of course the games on FB contribute to my escapism. Nothing like farming or running a restaurant or clearing out the woods to get your mind off your daily issues.
However, my favorite form of leaving myself behind is reading. I have always loved to read. I have always been an avid reader. Just seems like here lately my reading has gotten a bit excessive. Almost, as if I am addicted to it. Which is not entirely out of the question. I have a very addictive personality and there are plenty of addicts of all kinds in my family. I go almost no where without a book. I read just about any time I dont feel like I need to be doing anything else. I go to the library and come back with an average of 10 books a trip. To make matters worse, my parents got me a Kindle for my birthday.
I read a lot of fantasy novels, some sci-fi, and some mystery/detective books.A lot of historical fiction. Seems to be my genre of choice at the moment. And sometimes I feel like my books are more real than well, real life. The books I have been reading lately all occur in the BC period of Ireland/England. The books often feel real, or right. As if the way things are in the book (the time period, the way of life) are the way things are supposed to be - for me. Perhaps I am remembering a past life. Maybe I should have been born in another era.
It's not depression. Escaping is fine, as long as it isn't interfering with the real world. Do you stay home and read books or get on FB instead of going to work? No? Then it's not a huge deal. A bit more socialization might not hurt. Maybe connect with other people that read similar books? Book club? Or . . . maybe you should consider writing. You've already got the poetry thing. Your knowledge of different books should give you a sense of what kind of writing style you like or don't like. That would make your own writing better. Just a thought.
ReplyDelete